Happy 2016! Refresh...Recharge...Reclaim Your Energy
Welcome to 2016! Whatever you have planned for the New Year, you will have more energy to accomplish it if you take the time now to set yourself on a path to greater health. Small changes can be more approachable and lasting and can make a big difference over time.
Here are a few steps you can take right now that can move you forward into your new year with ease and grace.
1) Focus on putting good stuff in at the same time you are taking the stressful stuff out. We all know that sugar, refined flours and processed foods need to come out for us to feel our best. But, we gotta put good stuff in too, and that can be way more fun…and that leads to…
2) More plants! No matter what your paradigm, Vegan, Paleo, or whatever looks good, most of us could use more vegetables in our lives. Roast them, cut them up raw and store them in your fridge, make salads without the dressing and keep bags of them in the fridge. Fill up half your plate with them at each meal.
3) Sleep. By now you’ve heard this from every direction, but sometimes the simple things are the best. You need to sleep. You need to say ‘no’ enough times that you have time in your schedule to sleep. You need to turn off that dang TV/computer/phone and get to bed by 10. There is a rule of thumb that due to our circadian rhythms, every hour before midnight is worth two hours after.
4) Laughter and connection. Another simple but often undervalued element of joyful good health, and another fun one. It’s ok to skip folding the laundry for now if it means you can spend some time with some people you love.
5) Exercise. But wait- this doesn’t have to be strenuous! Just move your body. Commit to 30 minutes a day of anything. Walking, www.fitnessblender.com, swimming, yoga. Just move. This post in the NYTimes details why just 5-6 miles a week of jogging can be hugely beneficial. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/11/27/ask-well-how-many-miles-a-week-should-i-run/
6) If you smoke, quit immediately. Nothing could be more important for your health. You know who you are. (yes, this means you. :))
7) And last but not least…you know this is coming…hydration! Yep, simple but not always easy. I think a good policy is to have a big glass of filtered water on waking, then keep good water handy all day and let your awakened thirst impulse guide you.
I love this NPR article and the accompanying video for a summation of great simple techniques to keep yourself feeling great.
Another thing you could do…
THE RESTART® PROGRAM
If you are in Seattle, I would LOVE to have you join my RESTART® group starting on Monday January 11th! There is nothing like group energy to help you focus on making changes. If you’ve been waiting to make a decision about joining, now is the time. We’ve got a great group shaping up and you won’t want to miss it.
I know not everyone can work with me privately, so that is why I am offering
The Restart® Program for groups, beginning this January.
In 5 weeks you will learn:
~How to prepare mentally, physically, and emotionally to make successful changes to your diet
~How digestion is supposed to work and simple ways to enhance your own digestion
~What sugar really does in your body, the stages of dysglycemia, and effective ways to reduce the risk of those conditions.
~The truth about fat and why healthy fats are essential for healthy blood sugar regulation as well as your overall good health. You will learn which fats to eat, which fats to avoid, and why!
~How to move forward from the sugar detox and re-introduce foods in a healthful way back in to your daily diet.
And there is a 21 DAY SUGAR DETOX-ELIMINATION DIET built in.
Side effects of the RESTART® Program may include (but are not limited to):
~Weight loss, Boosted immunity
~Better sleep, More energy
~Reduced cravings for sugar and starchy carbs
~Mental clarity, calmness and even temperament
~Reduced PMS and menopausal symptoms
~An appreciation for the taste of Real Food
You can find out more details and register here:
Here’s wishing you a nourishing and satisfying 2016!!